Life Gets Busy – Do you ever feel like life is moving too fast? That there aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done? You’re not alone. We all feel that way sometimes. But, what can you do about it? Here are seventeen ways to slow down when life gets busy. From tips on better self-care through quality skincare to finding compassion for yourself, we’ve got you covered. Try a few of them and see if they help you find some peace and calm in your chaotic world.
1) Early to Bed, Early to Rise – Make some me-time at the start of your day to enjoy life from the moment you wake up. Going to sleep an hour earlier and adding that extra time to the beginning of your day means you’ll have more time to relax and recharge before the day starts.
2) Morning Ritual – Wake up, take a few deep breaths and spend five minutes doing something you enjoy (reading, stretching, meditating, etc.). This will set the tone for the rest of your day.
3) Plan Ahead – If you know what you’re going to be doing each day, you won’t feel as rushed. Make a list of what you need to do and when, and stick to it as closely as possible.
4) Simplify Your Life – Declutter your life by getting rid of things you don’t need or use. Less stuff means less stress. Does it bring you joy? No? Goodbye!
5) Make Breaks Non-Negotiables – If you’re feeling overwhelmed, taking a break is a must. It doesn’t matter if it’s for five minutes or five hours. Make sure you schedule some time to relax and rejuvenate according to what your body and brain tell you. If you’re having trouble remembering to take breaks during your workday specifically, use the science-backed Pomodoro technique that builds in five-minute breaks after twenty-five minutes of work and longer breaks every two hours.
6) Set Boundaries – Don’t be afraid to say no to things that don’t fit into your schedule or you don’t have time for. You can’t do it all, and that’s perfectly okay.
7) Take Time for Yourself – This one is key. If you don’t take time for yourself, you’ll never have the energy to take on anything else. So make sure you set aside some time each day (or week) to do something just for you.
So you’ve taken time for yourself, but what are you going to do? Why not treat yourself to some at-home spa time? But what does that entail? Well, first things first, you’ll need some probiotic skincare products. A good cleanser, toner and moisturizer are essential for keeping your skin looking its best. You might also want to invest in a small skincare set that includes a face mask, serum and cream. Once you have your products, it’s time to get started.
- Start by cleansing your face with a cleanser. This will remove any dirt or makeup and help keep your skin healthy.
- Next, use a toner. Toners help remove any residual dirt or makeup and also help to prepare your skin for the next step.
- Apply a serum. Many exist, including anti-aging, brightening, pore-minimizing and hydrating. Serums are filled with antioxidants and are delicious for your skin.
- If you have time, give yourself a face mask. Choose an appropriate mask for your skin type and leave it on for 10 to15 minutes.
- Finish up with a moisturizer. This will help to keep your skin hydrated and looking healthy.
8) Slow Down the Pace – Sometimes, we just need to slow down the pace of our lives. This can be done by taking smaller steps when completing tasks, eating slower and walking more slowly.
9) Organize Your Time – This goes hand in hand with planning ahead. If you know what you need to do and when, it’ll be easier to stay on task.
10) Simplify Your Meals – Cook simple meals that don’t take much time or effort. This will free up some time in your day for other things. Or, sign up for a meal delivery service and let them do the shopping and planning for you.
11) Take a Break from Technology – Step away from the computer, phone and TV and enjoy life without being plugged in. You might be surprised at how relaxing it is.
12) Set Limits on Working Hours – Don’t let work consume your life. Set limits on how many hours you’re going to work each day and week, and stick to them.
13) Take Time for a Hobby – Find something you enjoy doing outside of work and make time for it. This can be anything from painting to hiking to biking.
14) Give Yourself Grace – We all have bad days sometimes. So, when things don’t go as planned, give yourself grace and know that tomorrow is a new day.
We are our own harshest critics and carry around way too much guilt. Many of us are also excessively hard on ourselves, leading to a lot of stress. So how do we combat this? By practicing self-compassion.
- Start by acknowledging your feelings. Don’t try to push them away.
- Next, talk to yourself as you would to a friend. Be kind and understanding.
- Finally, forgive yourself. We all make mistakes, and that’s okay.
15) Slow Down the Pace of Your Life – See step 8. Reread step 8. Repeat step 8 often.
16) Make Time for Exercise – Exercise releases endorphins, which help to improve your mood and make you feel happier. A good workout can also help you to relax and de-stress. The CDC recommends at least 150 minutes of activity per week, combining various types of exercise. Hitting the gym, doing some living room yoga or jumping in the pool for a swim are all great options.
17) Get Enough Sleep – This one is probably the most important. If you’re not well-rested, you won’t be able to function at your best. So make sure you’re getting enough sleep each night (at least seven hours).
You Deserve This
Slowing down may seem like an impossible task, but it’s worth it. When you take the time to focus on your breath and appreciate the present moment, even for just a few minutes each day, you are recharging your battery and making space for happiness.
We know that slowing down can be challenging – especially when life is busy – but try to think of it as an act of self-care. You are worth taking care of. By investing in yourself, you set yourself up for a lifetime of happiness and well-being.