Are you an inhabitant of Marietta who has been on the receiving end of a car crash? The chances of walking away from such an incident completely unscathed are pretty low. There may also be the possibility that the accident left you with underlying problems that worsen as we speak. Regardless of the issue and its severity, getting medical help after an accident is crucial. But for that, you have to know the different problems that can arise from a car accident. Hence, you can take precautions to ensure your condition doesn’t deteriorate. Before we discuss various accident injuries and their treatment, let’s take a look at what could cause them.
Table of Contents
Causes of car accident injuries
Car collisions continue to occur despite recent developments in automotive technologies such as emergency cameras, dynamic lights, and forward impact systems. Some of the most frequent reasons are:
- Reckless driving: Involves changing lanes too fast, blatantly disregarding the life and resources of others, and purposefully refusing to follow safety precautions.
- Tiredness: Drowsiness, lethargy, or exhaustion can affect a driver’s power to adapt, react, or distinguish traffic conditions proficiently.
- Distracted driving: Traffic accident researchers describe distractions as something that takes the driver’s eyes off the lane, hands off the wheel, or mind off the difficult task of driving. Many distractions that result in crashes, deaths, and accidents are a combination of two or three of certain types of diversion.
- Alcohol impairment: Alcohol has a significantly adverse effect on your concentration. It reduces the human body’s response time. Arms and legs take longer to respond to brain commands. Mainly due to dizziness, it also impairs vision. Each of these causes contributes to car crashes, which are often deadly.
Various results of car accidents
Car accidents can affect different regions of the body, leading to various kinds of complications.
Whiplash is typically the result of a crash in which the victim in a stationary vehicle. This car undergoes an impact from behind with another automobile. The head and neck push into a hyperextended posture by the seat, which propels the person’s body forward, causing the head and neck to drop back. As a result of the rear blow, the cervical spine develops an irregular S-shape that differs from natural movement. This irregular motion supposedly damages the soft tissues that tie the cervical vertebrae together.
Lacerations are severe personal injuries that can result in lengthy hospital stays as well as infection-related complications. A laceration is a wound caused by the ripping of soft tissue in the body. This injury is usually jagged and uneven and is prone to contamination by the injury’s origin. The skin will quickly break as a result of the trauma of a crash.
When the force applied to a human bone is greater than the force it can withstand, the bone will crack. Since the body experiences a significant amount of damage after a crash, car accidents involve a high number of fractures. A car crash can damage any bone in the body. Arms and wrist fractures, lower leg and femur fractures, ribs, elbows, clavicles, and skull or facial fractures are common car crash injuries.
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Any impact or sudden jolt to the head by car accidents can cause traumatic brain injuries. Primary and secondary injuries are the most common types of TBIs. The first injury occurs during the initial impact. The delicate brain collides with the thick interior of the skull during this impact, possibly causing damage to specific lobes or even the whole brain. Depending on the seriousness of the initial effects, an individual may claim to be alright. The brain, on the other hand, can appear to be subjected to delayed trauma.
When to visit a doctor?
Not all significant injuries sustained in a traffic crash are immediately apparent. Any automobile-related complications can take days or weeks to manifest, with signs appearing gradually after the accident. You must see a hospital in the first 72 hours post-accident for evaluation of possible injuries. Even if you don’t think you are hurt and don’t need immediate medical attention, it’s a good idea to get a checkup.
Treatment for your injuries
Depending on your injury’s severity, there are different treatment measures you can take.
- Pain medicine: You may take medication to alleviate or lessen the discomfort. Do not put off taking the medication until the pain becomes unbearable.
- Usage of heat and ice: Ice aids in the reduction of swelling and discomfort. Ice can also aid in the prevention of tissue injury. You can use an ice pack or a plastic bag filled with crushed ice. Apply it to your wounded region every passing hour or as instructed. Moreover, you can use a heating pad on the damaged area after two days.
If you have suffered from a nasty car accident but don’t want invasive treatment, you can visit a Marietta chiropractic clinic. Chiropractic manipulations can help produce an anti-inflammatory chemical in the body, decreasing internal stress and discomfort while still promoting healing. Your chiropractor will be able to reduce pain and accelerate the healing process, allowing you to restore movement even more quickly. They may even oversee the treatment to reduce the future likelihood of potential injuries.
The type and severity of your injury will determine whether or not you need surgery after a traffic accident. Most auto crashes necessitate emergency surgery right away. Surgery is an intrusive procedure that may lead to side effects. If your body can recover with less invasive care, your doctor would not recommend this treatment.
The most common surgical procedures after a car accident include bone-stabilization surgery, brain surgery, back surgery, soft tissue surgery, and surgery for internal organ damage.
Many different reasons can have you end up in a car crash. If you do find yourself in such a situation, make sure you seek medical help as fast as possible. This precaution might help you prevent more long-term complications that could trouble you in the future.