Retention is a term used in the lash extension industry to describe how long your extensions will last. For the most part, it’s not possible to predict how long extensions will last. If the retention stated on the label of your eyelash adhesive isn’t what you expect, it’s because you didn’t follow all of the instructions.
On the subject of client retention, there are a number of elements that you may influence. They are now solely accountable for their eyelash extensions once they have left your premises. Here are four ways to make your lashings last longer before they depart:
1. Make sure your products aren’t expired so that you can keep them.
The freshness of the lash adhesive you use has a big impact on how long the lashes last, so make sure it’s still good to use.
Cyanoacrylate and other chemicals are used in the making of lash adhesives, like in nail polish. For a long time, the components start to separate and, as they do, become less effective. You should shake the bottle of glue very well before you use it. This will mix the chemicals and make your glue work at its best.
Even so, if your lash glue is old, the chemicals aren’t as fresh, which means that the bonds aren’t as strong and the lashes don’t last as long. Before you use your lash glue, check the expiration date and shelf life. It’s a good idea to label your bottle with the date that it was opened to avoid any mix-ups.
2. Concentrate on lash prep (cleanser+primer) for retention.
Spare no expense in preparing! To achieve long-lasting retention, it is necessary to have clean eyelashes before to lashing. All of these factors contribute to lower lash retention and a weaker bond between your lash glue and your lashes. Cleanse your client’s lashes using an oil-free, extension-safe cleanser.
After that, using a lash primer, make certain that no oil, dust, residue, or debris remains in your client’s eyelashes. A lash primer helps to maintain the pH balance of your client’s lashes, which results in increased lash retention.
Prep your client’s eyelashes properly!
3.Teach your customers how to properly look for themselves in order to keep them as customers.
Your client’s daily activity has a key role in why their eyelash extensions come out sooner than anticipated. Teach your client proper aftercare techniques, including dos and don’ts and product recommendations. Additionally, include ingredients that they should avoid.
Clean your eyelashes on a daily basis. Brush and clean their lashes and lash line with the right lash cleanser and mascara wands.
As a cost-saving measure, urge your customers to avoid diluting items such as cleaners. Disrupting the cleaning power of a cleaner is as simple as diluting it beyond what the manufacturer intended. They may experience early shedding as a result of their eyelash cleaners’ inability to remove all of the unwanted debris from their lashes — including oil and filth, as well as makeup residue.
4. Maintain an appropriate work environment to maximize retention
Use a hygrometer and thermometer to check the humidity and temperature of your lash room. The label on the lash glue should be examined. The recommended optimal ambient temperature and humidity level for the best lash adhesive functioning is always specified by the manufacturers.
The correct humidity and temperature parameters should be followed in your lash room. High and low humidity levels have different effects on the drying time of your eyelash glue. In both cases, the lash retention will be insufficient and the binding will be poor.
Need more retention tips?
Here are a few more helpful tips:
- Make sure the lash extensions are perfectly parallel to your client’s natural lashes. It will quickly become clogged with dirt and oil if the extensions aren’t connected at the ground level. The relationship will start to deteriorate as a result of the buildup. Keep your extension bases flush with the natural lash line to give your sets a smooth appearance and more surface area for your adhesive to adhere to.
- Treat your lash adhesives right. Keep your glue in good condition by storing and treating it properly. It’s a requirement if you want to stay. To ensure adequate shelf-life storage, follow the manufacturer’s recommendations and, if possible, determine the date of manufacturing.
- Try shock curing. Avoid overusing it, though. Using nano misting is one of the best ways to keep your lashes in place longer. Keep your client’s face at least 12 inches away from the nano mister. This position should be held for a maximum of thirty seconds at a time. Shock treatment will have the opposite effect if it lasts more than 30 seconds. You don’t want your client’s lashes to look like they’ve been drenched in water.
- Advise your clients about makeup.Clients should know the dangers of oil-based makeup and how to avoid them. Because of how difficult it is to remove, waterproof eye makeup is not suggested for usage with eyelash extensions. Eyelash removal should always be done with care, no matter what type of cosmetics your clients are using.
The best glue for lash extensions to keep them in place
Nowadays, there are several lash glues available. I realize how perplexing locating lash adhesive may be. Additionally, clients’ requirements differ. We provide the following five of the best retention lash extension glues:
Supreme Adhesive (4 – 5 weeks)
This lash adhesive is widely used by experienced lash artists. Supreme Adhesive dries rapidly, in under two seconds. Lash retention varies between 4 and 5 weeks, depending on your clients’ aftercare regimes.
- 1 to 2 seconds drying time
- Black color
- Low fume
- Lash retention: 4 to 5 weeks
- Ideal for intermediate to advanced lash artists
- Classic and Volume lashes
Elite Adhesive (6 – 7 weeks)
Elite Adhesive is suitable for both novices and experienced lash artists due to its viscosity. Numerous newcomers love the “thickness” and comfortable drying period of this glue. Lash retention is around 6 to 7 weeks.
- 2 seconds drying time
- Black color
- Lash retention: 6 to 7 weeks
- Classic and Volume lashes
LBLA Omega Adhesive (7 – 8 weeks)
The short drying period of LBLA Omega Adhesive distinguishes it from other adhesives. It is determined by the relative humidity level in your space. When it is between 65 and 70%, the drying time is instant; when it is 40% to 55%, the drying time is 0.5 to 1 second; and when it is 25% to 40%, the drying time is 1 to 2 seconds. This is one of the reasons why lash tech love this lash adhesive. Adjusting the drying length is simple by raising the humidity without compromising the retention.
- Instant to 2 seconds drying time (depending on the humidity)
- Semi black color
- Minimal fumes
- Great for mega volume lash extensions
- Lash retention: 7 to 8 weeks
If your client desires large volume lashes that will endure a long time, you should highly consider utilizing LBLA Omega Adhesive.
SUGARLASH Bond Noir Adhesive (Up to 8 weeks)
This lash glue works well with both normal and thick lashes. SUGARLASH Bond Noir Adhesive dries in less than 0.01 seconds. That’s why you need to be able to keep up with the speed at which the material dries. It has a great glossy black color that makes the eyelashes look beautiful and shiny.
- 0.5 second drying time
- Low fumes
- Glossy black color
- Lash retention: up to 8 weeks
- Ideal for experienced lash techs
Bond SUGARLASH Noir Adhesive keeps lashes in place for up to 8 weeks. Its texture and viscosity are quite adjustable, making it an easy material to work with for skilled tech.
LASHGOD Supernatural Bond (8 – 10 weeks)
This lash adhesive is completely oil-resistant, which contributes to the lashes’ retention and bonding. LASHGOD Supernatural Bond dries in a matter of seconds. That is, you must be able to maintain a constant rate of drying. It is frequently used by skilled lash technicians.
- 0.2 to 0.5 drying time
- Jet black color
- Low fumes
- Lash retention: 8 to 10
- Ideal for experienced lash techs
LASHGOD Supernatural Bond is latex- and formaldehyde-free and contains no odiferous fumes. If you want to ensure the longevity of your client’s eyelash extensions, this is the lash adhesive for you! Additionally, it is hypoallergenic and excellent for people with sensitive skin.
Numerous factors, including your client’s aftercare procedure and lifestyle, affect eyelash extensions retention. You have no influence over these occurrences. You can, however, ensure that you explain the importance of their aftercare routine and how it affects their eyelashes clearly. Paris eyelash Academy has designed and created the PLA line after spending over 11 years working her magic as a lash artist. Rather than that, focus on the aspects that you can control and ensure that your lash salon always uses high-quality products. This saves you time and money by guaranteeing that your customers are satisfied with the length of their extensions.