As we age, the skin and muscles of our face can begin to sag. This can cause a person to look older than they are, making them feel self-conscious about their appearance.
A facelift is a surgical procedure designed to rejuvenate the skin, muscles, and tissues of the face. The purpose of a facelift is to restore a more youthful appearance to the face by tightening excess tissue, lifting and trimming sagging skin, and lifting droopy muscles.
Getting a good surgeon and asking important questions are ways to prepare for a successful facelift procedure. If you are considering getting a facelift or are currently getting ready for one, read on for tips on how best to prepare for your procedure!
How to Prepare for a Facelift
You’re right to be concerned about how you’ll prepare for a facelift. It’s a big deal, and it’s not something you want to take lightly.
There are several things you should do before your procedure. Here are a few things to keep in mind before your facelift:
- Your surgeon will likely ask you to stop taking aspirin and other blood thinners for a week or more before your surgery.
- You may be asked to stop eating certain foods, such as dairy products, for several days before your surgery.
- You may need to avoid alcohol for several weeks before your surgery.
- If you have diabetes, you’ll need to keep your blood sugar levels under control before and after the procedure.
- Schedule a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon who has experience performing facelifts.
How to Choose a Plastic Surgeon for Your Facelift
Choosing a plastic surgeon for a facelift is a big decision and one that can have life-changing implications. Here are some things to consider when picking your surgeon:
- First and foremost, make sure that your surgeon is board certified. This means they have completed the necessary education and training to be recognized by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- Next, look at the surgeon’s experience: How long have they been practicing? How many facelifts have they performed?
- Finally, find out how much your procedure will cost. Some surgeons offer free consultations and may give you a ballpark estimate during this visit; others will require you to sign a contract or pay an upfront fee before they can give you an estimate. (The latter method is more common.)
- Also, make sure that your surgeon operates in an accredited surgical facility. This means that the facility has met certain requirements set by state or federal regulators regarding cleanliness, infection control, equipment maintenance, and so on.
What Should You Ask Your Plastic Surgeon About Facelift Surgery?
Facelift surgery is a big decision, and it’s important to take time to make sure you’re comfortable with the procedure and that you’ve got all your questions answered before moving forward.
The following are some questions you should ask your plastic surgeon before getting a facelift:
- How long will the recovery period be?
- What sort of risks am I taking by undergoing this procedure?
- What kind of anesthesia will be used during the procedure?
- How will my face look after the surgery?
- What happens during the surgery?
- What kind of results can I expect from this procedure?
- Is there anything else I can do to improve my appearance without having surgery?
- What should I expect during the recovery period?
- How much does it cost?
- Are you board-certified?
- How many facelifts have you performed?
- Do you have before and after photos of past patients?
- Do I have a good chance of being a candidate for this procedure?
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Does It Cost?
The cost varies widely depending on factors like location (some areas have higher costs than others), surgeon experience level (some doctors charge more than others), insurance coverage (if any), and additional procedures such as eyelid surgery that may be performed at the same time as your facelift procedure.
The average cost of a facelift Beverly Hills is between $8,005 and $15,000, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons’ recent statistics.
What Should I Expect During a Consultation for a Facelift?
Here are some things you should expect during your consultation for a facelift:
- You should expect your consultation to be a conversation between you and your surgeon.
- You will discuss the procedure, including what it entails and what results you can expect.
- You will discuss what type of anesthesia you will receive (if any), as well as other medications that may be prescribed during or after the procedure.
- Your surgeon will also talk with you about any concerns or questions you may have about the surgery, as well as any risks or complications that could arise from having it done (such as infection).
- The surgeon will also explain how long it will take for your result to fully heal, as well as how soon you can go back to work and resume normal activities after the procedure has been completed.
- You’ll be asked about your medical history, and your surgeon will want to know about any allergies or medical conditions you have.
What Are the Risks of Facelift Surgery?
Facelift surgery is a safe procedure that can improve your appearance and self-esteem. There are some risks involved, however.
The most common risks include:
- Swelling or hematoma (a collection of blood under the skin)
- Nerve damage