Table of Contents
Multani Mitti(Fuller’s Earth) Definition
Multani Mitti typically consists of palygorskite (attapulgite) or bentonite. It is any clay material that can decolorize oil or other liquids without harsh chemical treatment.
Modern uses of Fuller’s earth include absorbents for oil, grease, and animal waste (cat litter). It carries for pesticides and fertilizers.
Minor uses include filtering, clarifying, and decolorizing active and inactive ingredient in beauty products.
It fills in paint, plaster, adhesives, and pharmaceuticals. It also has several uses in the film industry and on stage.
The Etymology of Multani Mitti
The English name reflects the historical use of the material for cleaning or fulling wool by textile workers called “fullers.”
In past centuries, fullers kneaded Fuller’s earth and water into woolen cloth to absorb lanolin, oils—it greasy impurities as part of the cloth finishing process.
The following other names also know Fuller’s earth:
- “Bleaching clay,” probably because fulling whitened the cloth.
- “Whitening clay,” mainly when used to treat facial pigmentation, such as melasma.
- Multani Mitti (Hindustani: मुल्तानी मिट्टी, ملتانی مٹّی) “clay of Multan,” widely used in the Indian subcontinent in cosmetics.
Uses of Multani Mitti
In addition to its original use in the fulling of raw fibers, Fuller’s earth now utilizes in many industries. Most essential applications make use of the minerals’ natural absorbent properties in products sold as absorbents or filters.
1. Treatment for Poisoning
- Even given the risk of salmonella, the clay content of soil could save the life of a person exposed to paraquat.
- For example, paraquat intends to break down in the ground.
- Fuller’s earth is used by military and civil emergency service personnel to decontaminate the clothing.
- Its service members and CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear) responders contaminate with chemical agents.
3. Cleaning Agent
- In the Indian subcontinent, it uses to clean marble as a sound absorbent.
- It removes dust, dirt, impurities, and stains from the surface and replenishes the shine of the statue.
- It uses numerous times to clean the Taj Mahal, India, with positive results.
4. Litter Box
- Since the late 1940s, Fuller’s earth uses in commercial cat litter.
5. Cosmetology And Dermatology
- The same properties make Fuller’s earth effective at removing oils, dirt, and impurities from wool.
- It is also active on human hair and skin.
6. Film Industry
- Fuller’s earth has been used extensively for many years in motion pictures for a variety of applications.
- In the area of special effects, it operates in pyrotechnics explosions and dust clouds.
- It spreads farther and higher than most natural soils.
- It is resulting in a blast that looks larger and also safer than naturally occurring soil, should the blasting spray hit actors—the way toward the farmhouse.
- Fuller’s earth is also widely used by make-up, props, wardrobe, and set dresser departments.
- It considers “clean” dirt, safer to use around people, and it cleans up easily.
- However, health concerns in this regard have a debate. Fuller’s earth is available in small quantities by make-up suppliers for use in making a face and body appear dirty.
- It is used by props technicians to make furniture look dusty.
- Wardrobe dressers use a small, loose-mesh cloth bag filled with Fuller’s earth.
- Apply it to clothing to make it appear dusty.
- Set tables use Fuller’s earth to change paved streets into dirt roads.
- It creates dust trailing from a moving vehicle over a dirt road. It indicates a vehicle trail over the untravelled ground.
Benefits of Multani Mitti
The benefits of Fuller’s earth are numerous, especially when it comes to skincare.
Fuller’s earth, also known as Multani Mitti, comes from the Multan province (Pakistan). Which is known for its incredible cleaning and fast-absorbing properties?
It well as having a lot of minerals, helping in the elimination of dead cells and improve blood circulation.
Properties of Multani Mitti for the Skin
- The Fullers earth is quite natural to get and has a too high price.
- It is ideal for oily and acne-prone skin, as it absorbs oil, so when used long-term. It will also make acne and blemishes disappear.
- This Mitti improves the color of the skin in general and allows you to get rid of spots, sunburns, and also stimulates blood circulation.
- It also has some properties for hair, especially if it is oily or has dandruff.
- Multani Mitti cleanses the skin, helps restore the shine, can beat the heat, restore skin elasticity and tone, remove scars.
- Also, it leaves the skin completely soft and radiant and can use every day.
- It must take into account that in healthy and dry skin, it can dry out the surface a bit. It is advisable to moderate its use.
Multani Mitti Mask
- To make a mask that tightens the facial muscles.
- You must combine two teaspoons of Fuller’s earth with mint leaves, six cloves of garlic, an egg, and rose water.
- We must wait for it to dry before removing it.
- On the other hand, if what we want is to cleanse the skin.
- Mix Multani Mitti, besán (chickpea flour), and sandalwood powder in the same proportion.
- And make a paste with a little water.
- If we also have acne, mix it with sandalwood powder and a little water or tomato juice.
- To remove scars, we can mix carrot pulp with Fuller’s earth and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- That paste should only apply to injuries.
- It can be used on oily hair to avoid oil and keep the hair clean longer.
- Rub the scalp, leave it for ten minutes, and then brush thoroughly. It also helps to eliminate dandruff.
- After washing our hair and letting the shampoo act for between five and seven minutes.
- We can rinse with water that has had Fuller’s earth for at least two hours. It will give us shine and higher volume.
- And to eliminate oily hair, we must massage the hair with olive oil, wrap it with a hot towel.
- Let it act for two hours. To wash it, we must make a mixture of Multani Mitti and milk.
- Finally, the next day washes with a mild shampoo.