Pomegranate has numerous health properties; It is antioxidant, anticancer, good for the heart, and contains many nutrients necessary for health.
The pomegranate is an ancient tree with a mystical component. There are samples of its existence and its beneficial properties since ancient times.
The pomegranate appears in great religious works such as the Bible, the Torah, and the Babylonian Talmud as a sacred fruit that brought good luck, abundance, and enhanced fertility.
What are the Health Benefits of Pomegranate?
1. Antioxidant Properties
- Like other vegetables classified within the group of nutraceutical foods, the pomegranate is beneficial to prevent the oxidation of the body’s cells and fight against free radicals, which cause a large part of infections.
- However, these properties are not only in its juice where there are many phenolic compounds, as demonstrated in an investigation by Gil and others. But these antioxidant substances are also present in other parts of the fruit, such as skin or seeds.
- The antioxidant properties present in pomegranate and its juice have other health benefits such as preventing cellular aging and strengthening the immune system.
2. Very Nutritious and Healthy
- The pomegranate provides 83 kcal per 100 grams. It is very nutritious and healthy food.
- Its richness in vitamins, especially vitamin C and vitamin K, and other components make this fruit a very nutritious food, with the energy necessary to keep the body healthy.
- Another benefit of the pomegranate’s nutritional composition is its not having saturated fats or bad fats.
- It is also high in fiber, which makes this fruit very easy to digest. The only negative is its high sugar content, 13.67 grams, due to fructose.
- Also, pomegranate has other benefits, such as avoiding diseases such as anemia. It is due to its high content of iron and folic acid.
- The latter is also recommended for pregnant women, as a deficiency of this nutrient can cause malformations in the fetus.
3. Help to Prevent Cancer
- The antioxidant agents present in fruits like the pomegranate often have their possible effects in preventing cancer, one of the deadliest diseases of our day.
- Pomegranate plays a critical role in preventing cancer, such as skin, breast, prostate, lung, and colon cancer.
- Its ability to combat this disease is since it is a rich source of antioxidant substances such as anthocyanins, ellagitannins, and tannins.
- Thanks to these, it serves to prevent tumors, among other beneficial activities, which have made this fruit a suitable object of study for cancer treatment.
- In this list, you can find other anticancer foods.
4. Its Consumption of Hypertension
- In addition to its antioxidant properties, pomegranate also helps stabilize blood pressure, much-helping people suffering from hypertension.
- There are many studies and clinical tests that show that pomegranate reduces both systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- These effects are beneficial for those who suffer from hypertension, caused by excessively high pressure in the arteries.
- Finally, he suggests that this food be included in diets to maintain a healthy heart.
5. Reduce Cholesterol
- Another beneficial aspect of pomegranate for heart health is reducing “bad cholesterol” (LDL cholesterol) in the blood.
- Pomegranate juice’s positive effects in type II diabetic patients with hyperlipidemia are excessive fat levels in the blood.
- A significant reduction in cholesterol levels find, both total and low-density lipoprotein or “bad” cholesterol.
6. Reduces the Risk of Suffering from Heart Disease
- By reducing risk factors, such as excessively high blood pressure or blood cholesterol levels, you decrease the chance of developing cardiovascular disease.
- Among the diseases that the consumption of pomegranate prevents is carotid arteriopathy, which occurs due to narrowing the carotid arteries.
- Pomegranate juice consumption for three years by patients with this condition reduces the carotid arteries’ thickness. It is due to its high content of antioxidant substances or polyphenols.
- It also prevents diseases as common as coronary artery disease and arteriosclerosis.
- Finally, the juice of this fruit shows to improve stress levels in people with coronary heart disease.
7. Prevents Infections by Bacteria and Fungi
- Its antimicrobial effects of pomegranate, especially significant with ailments that affect the oral cavity.
- Among the fungi and bacteria, which can treat with pomegranate extract, is candida Albicans, which causes other infections such as vaginal yeast infection or vaginitis.
- It condition, which, in addition to being annoying, is very common among women. It usually gives when taking antibiotics or birth control pills.
8. Keep your Brain Active
- The consumption of pomegranate is also very beneficial for the brain and the cells that make it up. It is considered a neuroprotective food due to its high content of antioxidants.
- Also, the pomegranate may stimulate your memory. In this experiment, pomegranate seeds administer to animals suffering from cerebral ischemia.
- The seeds were highly effective in improving cognitive development and muscle coordination in rodents. Pomegranate, due to its high antioxidant content, may also benefit human memory.
- The pomegranate extract helped prevent bone loss.
- This animal experiment suggests that pomegranate consumption, especially among postmenopausal women, can help prevent bone loss and prevent diseases associated with this loss, such as osteoporosis.
10. Against Alzheimer’s
- Its effectiveness of pomegranate extract to combat neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.
11. Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- The pomegranate fruit is beneficial for treating inflammation processes. Something that has been used for centuries by different cultures.
- These anti-inflammatory effects are also of great importance for cancer’s side effects, of which I spoke earlier.
- The consumption of pomegranate is beneficial for treating inflammatory processes associated with the gastrointestinal tract.
- The collected tests showed beneficial effects against ulcers or inflammation of the gut. However, most experiments have been carried out with laboratory animals, so clinical trials are still lacking to guarantee this fruit’s efficacy to treat these ailments.
- Pomegranate is very useful in treating oral infections. It prevents conditions such as periodontitis or gum inflammation (gingivitis).
- An extract from pomegranate skin in the treatment against some bacteria causes most of the mouth infections.
- The microorganisms were put into test tubes and proved effective in killing some of them.
13. Protect your Skin from External Damage
- One of the reasons that consuming pomegranate is useful for preventing skin cancer is because its antioxidant substances protect the skin from damage caused by exposure to ultraviolet rays.
- Other research includes the beneficial effects of pomegranate to combat skin conditions such as acne.
14. Improves Physical Performance
- The nitrates present in the pomegranate help blood flow and improve performance during physical activities.
- It does show to increase runners’ muscle power and have beneficial effects on their blood flow.
15. Help to Treat Erectile Dysfunction
- Pomegranate, being an antioxidant and improving blood flow, can be of great help for such uncomfortable problems as erectile dysfunction.
- Consumption of it juice shows improving sexual performance, although future studies are necessary to obtain meaningful statistical data.
Its been one of the healthiest foods on the earth, packed with nutrients and vital plant compounds.
They have a wide-ranging advantage and may help relieve your risk of various serious illnesses, including heart disease, cancer, arthritis, and other inflammatory conditions.
What’s more, they may improve your memory and exercise performance. Whether you want to reap the many health benefits you have to offer, either eat the arils directly or drink the juice.