Red Rice Definition
Red rice comes from China, does not remove the skin, and keeps its properties intact.
Its quality is undoubtedly superior to white rice. The pigmentation of the shell gives the grain its peculiar color.
Red rice is a cereal that provides energy and lowers blood sugar levels. It also contains minerals and low saturated fat that maintain heart health.
It contains starch, has a low amount of carbohydrates when compared to other products.
Therefore, if you have constipation problems or if you want to detoxify your body, it is time to include some red rice in your diet.
What are the 8 Benefits of Red Rice?
The health benefits of red rice widely study in recent years.
While more research is still required to support its effects, evidence indicates that it is a food capable of promoting well-being.
Why should it be added to the diet? What specifically are their contributions to health?
1. Lowers Cholesterol
- Red rice naturally produces lovastatin and monacolin.
- These substances are responsible for reducing the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) due to the HMG-CoA enzyme.
- Accountable for synthesizing cholesterol and maintaining a good state in the cardiovascular system.
- It also lowers triglyceride levels, and increases cholesterol (HDL), prevents heart disease.
2. Control the Sugar Level
- It has a low glycemic index.
- These mean that it is a food with proportions of regular sugar.
- So they don’t increase blood glucose.
- On the contrary, when consuming it, it has a regulatory effect on the production of insulin.
3. Satiating Effect
- Its high fiber content has an excellent satiating effect.
- By keeping the husk, it has more dietary effects than white rice.
- It is a fat-free product, a carbohydrate that sends the signal to your body full without the need to eat high calories.
- Therefore, the risk of being obese is lower. In addition to containing iron and magnesium, two elements that keep the body energized.
4. Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B6 is responsible for producing antibodies.
- These mean that it helps the neurological function to be balanced and especially that hemoglobin carries oxygen to the tissues.
- So eating red rice keeps red blood cells in good condition and controls serotonin, fighting states of depression, stress, or irritability.
- In addition to containing zinc, a mineral that helps support the immune system and the health of the skin, hair, and nails.
- It also contains selenium.
- It works as an antioxidant and protects the body against radicals and infections.
6. Protects the Bones
- This rice contains magnesium, a mineral that favors the absorption of calcium in the bones.
- It helps fight diseases such as osteoporosis and low bone density that occurs in adulthood and helps build healthy bones and prevents joint pain.
7. Improves Digestion
- The fiber in red rice not only fights overweight because it helps the fat to be absorbed slowly.
- It contributes to the functioning of the intestines, avoiding abdominal distention and constipation.
- It is considered a cleansing food.
8. Fight Asthma
- Manganese helps balance blood flow and pressure.
- Some people need more magnesium, as in those with asthma, since it protects the airways.
What is Nutritional Information?
The following table shows the nutritional composition in 100 g of red yeast rice:
Energy: 405 kcal in 100 g
Carbohydrate: 86.7 g in 100 g
Protein: 7 g in 100 g
Grease:4.9 g in 100 g
Fiber:2.7 g in 100 g
Iron:5.5 mg in 100 g
Zinc:3.3 mg in 100 g
Potassium:256 mg in 100 g
Sodium: 6 mg in 100 g
Also, find more helpful resources at healthbloging
What is the Preparation of Red Rice?
The basic recipe for red yeast rice prepare as follows:
- 1 cup of red rice;
- One tablespoon of olive oil;
- 1/2 chopped onion;
- Two cloves of garlic;
- Salt to taste;
- 2 ½ cups of water.
- Place the water in a pot and bring it to the fire.
- While the water is heating up and begins to boil, sauté the garlic and onion in the olive oil and.
- When the onion has a transparent appearance, add the red rice, sauté a little more and add the boiling water and salt.
- And also cook for 35 to 40 minutes over low heat.