Soft Diet Definition
A soft diet is a primary recommendation that the doctor usually makes us in case of gastroenteritis.
But it is not the only one, since there is not only one soft diet, although we always relate it to the diet that helps cut diarrhea.
We also tell you what types of existing soft diet, the soft diet foods, and how to follow it.
What are the Types of Soft Diet?
It seeks to stop problems such as diarrhea, stomach pain from gastritis, etc.
2. Not Astringent
It seeks to solve chewing or swallowing problems. In this case, we are talking about dysphagia’s diet for people who have an inflamed esophagus or throat and cannot eat.
And also, for the colonoscopy, for a surgical operation, etc.
Which Foods to Eat in Soft Diet?
- The foods to be taken in a soft diet must meet specific requirements. The food, preferably, should be warm and it also recommends to cook it with a little salt.
- The soft diet should also not contain irritants, spicy or excess seasonings; it should be moderate in fat, simple ways of preparing food should be used ( cooked, grilled, boiled ).
- Nutrition should be avoided fried or very salty and the sauces, since they can cause discomfort.
- As for its consumption, according to the expert, you have to eat several times a day and in small quantities. Food must eat correctly.
- It is vital to chew your food and eat slowly to facilitate digestion as much as possible. In this way, we will avoid swallowing air and, with it, the formation of gases.
- And also, finally, it would help if you tried to rest for a while after meals.
The foods that make up the soft diet are the following:
1. Cereals and Starches
- The cereals will be refined in pasta, white, toasted, or dry bread (biscuits), cooked white rice, cereal porridge, and cookies (type Maria).
- It is also consuming cooked potatoes in two ways, steamed or pureed. In this section, the foods that should not eat are whole grains, pastries, and uncooked prepared rice.
2. Meat and Fish
- The meats that can eat in the soft diet are chicken, turkey, and beef in light cooking such as grilled, boiled, or baked; and lean cold cuts such as ham.
- If the second option chooses, the fish would have to be white and cook the same meat. Here will avoid the red and fibrous meats, the sausages, and smoked, as well as bluefish, the seafood, and canned.
- This food can take in several ways: Overcooked, poached, or in a French omelet, although in more delicate patients, the white could be introduced first and then the yolk due to its high-fat content.
4. Dairy Products
- You will drink milk with a soft diet, preferably skimmed, natural yogurt, cottage cheese, and fresh Burgos type cheeses (avoiding cured cheeses).
- Due to their ingredients, desserts, such as puddings or custards, are recommended not to be consumed, and if done, they should be home-made.
- These foods will be eaten cooked, pureed, or in broths.
- Raw vegetables and gas-forming vegetables ( broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, and onions ) will avoid, just as tomato will not take.
- They can be eaten in a compote or cooked. It should also not be eaten raw, except for ripe bananas or non-acidic fruits that are also ripe.
- Like legumes, the amount of fat should also reduce: Small amounts of olive oil, butter, or margarine are usually well tolerated.
- And also, this type of oil is the first choice.
- We must avoid coffee, alcohol, juices acids (citrus and pineapple), carbonated soft drinks, drinks, and carbonated tea for liquids to drink in the soft diet.
- We can also drink water, skimmed milk, infusions (except for tea), and peach juices.
Which Foods Avoid in Soft Diet?
You should avoid:
- Spicy foods;
- Raw food;
- Red meat and sausages;
- Smoked or cured fish and meats and highly seasoned;
- Food fried;
- Drinks with caffeine. For example, coffee, tea, energy drinks, among others;
- Fatty dairy. Like whole milk, cream, whipped cream, and ice cream;
- Fatty and strong cheeses, such as blue or Roquefort;
- Gas-producing vegetables such as crucifers (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower), cucumber, green peppers, and corn.
- Dehydrated fruit;
- Wholegrain or bran cereals;
- Cookies, pasta, or whole-grain bread;
- Pickles, sauerkraut, and similar foods;
- Spices, such as hot pepper and garlic;
- Foods that contain a lot of sugar;
- And also, Seeds and nuts.
Soft Diet Recipes
Some recipes that can include in a soft diet are:
1. Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is simple to prepare and can be used in snacks by those who do not have a contraindication to consume milk.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon;
- 1 teaspoon of sugar;
- Pinch of salt;
- One slice of sliced bread;
- 1/2 cup of milk;
- 1 egg, lightly beaten;
- And also, 2 drops of vanilla essence.
- Take a little butter or olive oil in a mold. Add the cinnamon and the mixed sugar and spread it around the mold. And also, add the bread chopped.
- In another separate container, mix the milk with the egg, vanilla, and salt, and add it to the bread, combining all the ingredients well.
- Bake in a bain-marie for 30 minutes or until punctured with a stick. And also, it comes out clean from the center of the pudding.
2. Cream of Vegetables and Chicken
This cream is easily digestible and can be used both at lunch and at dinner.
- 3 medium potatoes;
- 2 Creole celery;
- 2 small carrots;
- 1 small onion;
- 500 g of shredded chicken breast;
- Coriander or parsley;
- Olive oil;
- And also, 3 garlic cloves;
- Salt to taste;
- Shredded cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese (optional).
- And also, peel and cut the vegetables. Place the olive oil, garlic, and 1/2 onion and the chopped vegetables in a pressure cooker.
- And also, cover with boiling water until the vegetables are completely covered and cover the pot.
- Please keep in the pressure cooker for 8 minutes and remove it. After opening the pot, remove the vegetables with the broth and blend for 2 minutes.
- In another pot, fry the chicken breast with salt to taste, olive oil, and onion.
- Put the broth on top of the chicken, stir all the ingredients well, remove from the heat, and place grated cheese (optional).
- If necessary, you can blend the broth with the chicken in the blender, depending on the consistency needed.
3. Banana Smoothie
The banana smoothie can use as a refreshing snack for those who not restrict from dairy.
- 1 slice of mango;
- A 1 cup of plain yogurt;
- 1 frozen banana in wheels;
- And also, 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Take the banana from the freezer and let it thaw for about 10-15 minutes, or you can also place the frozen slices for 15 seconds in the microwave.
- And also, blend all ingredients.
A soft diet is also a primary recommendation that the doctor usually makes us in case of treatment.