Table of Contents
Nausea and Vomiting Definition
Nausea and vomiting may be more common than you might think. These are usually situations that are not pleasant at all and can be related to dizziness.
There are medications, such as doxylamine (the only one authorized in Spain), that treat both disorders.
But if we do not have them, we can opt for a natural remedies series that can come in handy.
What are the Causes of Nausea and Vomiting?
Causes of nausea and vomiting can include:
- Stomach illness or pregnancy ( morning sickness );
- Medical treatment, such as cancer treatment;
- Emotions, like severe worry or stress.
When you are nauseous, you don’t want to eat. It can lead to unhealthy weight loss. Vomiting can dehydrate you (make you dry), which can be dangerous.
Once you and your provider find the cause of your nausea or vomiting, they may ask you to take medicine, change your diet, or try other things to make yourself feel better.
Best 10 Natural Remedies for Nausea and Vomiting
1. Eat Ginger
- Ginger is one of the most common natural remedies for treating nausea and vomiting.
- Without going any further, doctors recommend the consumption of ginger to avoid nausea during pregnancy.
- It is also beneficial in those people who have nausea or vomiting due to receiving chemotherapy treatment.
- In general, we can take 0.5 to 1.5 grams of ginger a day. However, it did not recommend taking it if you have low blood pressure, low blood sugar levels, or taking anticoagulants.
2. The Scent of Mint
- A group of people exposed to peppermint scent experienced lower nausea than others who did not smell peppermint at all.
- But we can not only have a mint inhaler at home, but we can also have a cup of mint tea to reduce nausea and vomiting.
3. Essential Oils
- Peppermint or grapefruit essential oils can help eliminate nausea and vomiting.
- We can put a few drops on a handkerchief, bring it to the nose, inhale and then exhale through the mouth until nausea subsides.
- The combination of essential oils and deep breathing can be a very effective natural remedy.
4. The Lemon
- Citrus scents, such as a freshly cut lemon, can help reduce nausea and vomiting.
- Chopping a lemon or merely scraping its peel can work as it releases essential oils into the air that help eliminate these unpleasant sensations.
- You can also beverage a glass of water to which we have added the juice of some squeezed lemons.
- To flavor the lemonade, we can add a little honey. The vitamins and minerals in the lemon act as an obstacle to vomiting and can stop it.
5. Natural Orange Juice
- The vitamins and minerals in homemade fresh orange juice can replace the body’s nutrients through vomiting.
- Plus, they also raise blood pressure, so it doesn’t get out of balance. Another option is to eat the oranges as is or add them to a dessert or salad.
- The citrus flavor of the fruit helps to avoid feelings of nausea and vomiting.
6. The Spices
- Various spices can help eliminate nausea and vomiting. One of them is fennel powder, especially recommended to stop nausea during pregnancy.
- We can prepare, for example, a cup of fennel tea or even chew it. Another is cinnamon, also ideal for reducing nausea and vomiting problems in pregnant women.
- Cumin extract is also significant, and eliminating vomiting and nausea can also help with abdominal pain and constipation.
- Clove is another spice that helps in this regard. Not surprisingly, it contains eugenol, a compound that has antibacterial properties.
- You can make clove tea by adding a tablespoon of this spice to a cup of boiling water.
7. Herbal Tea
- Herbal tea can be a perfect solution to eliminate vomiting and nausea. We can mix a teaspoon of chamomile, a teaspoon of mint, another catnip, basil, two crushed fennel seeds, and a teaspoon of marjoram.
- All of this is poured into a boiling water cup and left to act for about 10 minutes. A day you can drink about three cups.
- It blend contains carminative herbs that aid digestion and also antispasmodic herbs that decrease muscle spasms.
8. Sugar and Salt Water
- Drinking a mixture of sugar and saltwater can cause our body to balance salts’ levels (sodium, potassium, etc.) lost with nausea and vomiting.
- This solution will not allow the body to become dehydrated and prevent the feeling of vomiting from returning.
9. Acupuncture and Acupressure
- Acupuncture is a technique that involves inserting long, thin needles into the skin to stimulate specific nerves in the body.
- These nerves then send signs to the brain to release hormones that reduce nausea and vomiting.
- In acupressure, for its part, physical pressure is applied to specific points on the body. Acupressure on the wrist can eliminate nausea and vomiting.
10. Eat Crackers
- If nausea or vomiting comes from an upset stomach, we can have a couple of pretzels. Cookies are one of the most effective home remedies to eliminate morning sickness and vomiting.
- They can also increase the level of sugar in the blood, which will help us feel better and avoid these sensations.
How to Treat Nausea and Vomiting?
When you feel nauseous, sit quietly. Sometimes walking around can make it worse.
To make sure your body has sufficient liquids, drink 8 to 10 glasses of clear liquids each day. Water is the best. You can also sip fruit juices and carbonated water (leave the can or bottle open to let the bubbles out).
Try energy drinks to replenish minerals and other nutrients that you may be missing when you vomit.
Eat 6 to 8 small mealtimes during the day, instead of 3 large meals:
- Eat soft foods. Examples are crackers, English muffins, toast, baked chicken and fish, potatoes, pasta, and rice.
- Eat foods that hold a lot of water. Try clear soups, popsicles, and gelatin.
- If you have a bad taste in your mouth, try rinsing with a solution of baking soda, salt, and warm water before eating. Use 1 teaspoon (5 grams) of baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon (4.5 grams) of salt, and 4 cups (1 liter) of warm water. Spit out after rinsing.
- Sit down after eating. DO NOT lie down.
- Find a calm and pleasant place to eat, free from odors and distractions.
Other tips that can help:
- Suck on candy bars or rinse your mouth with water after vomiting. Or it can also rinse with baking soda and the saline solution mentioned above.
- Try going outside to get approximately fresh air.
- Watch a movie or watch television to get nausea out of your mind.
When to Call the Doctor
Call the specialist if you or your child:
- Cannot hold down any solid or liquid food
- You vomit three or extra times in a day.
- You have nausea for more than 48 hours.
- Feel weak
- He has fever
- Stomach pain
- You have not urinated for 8 hours or more.
Home remedies may be more actual if you have motion or morning sickness. Vomiting due to stomach flu or food poisoning may require medical attention.
Remember to drink sufficient liquids to avoid dehydration. Vomiting is uncomfortable, but it usually resolutions itself within a day or so.